Shive-Hattery has an immediate opening in our Cedar Rapids office for a mechanical or electrical engineer in the role of Group Leader with ten + years of experience. The candidate should possess experience in at least two of the following sectors; healthcare, education, industrial and government. Registration as a Licensed Engineer in Iowa is preferred.
Under the direction of the Team Leader, this Group Leader performs a variety of duties associated with design expertise on projects and design-related services, to assist in achieving desired client satisfaction, and business results. This position involves design knowledge-based experience while working with market focused and production team members in the timely, professional, and accurate production of various design documents, contracts, computer generated renderings, technical drawings, code research, Revit models, or other items associated with the delivery of engineering design services. Participation in applicable association, and/or community activities is preferred.
As a Group Leader you will oversee the mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and associated designers as well as process piping designers. You will be responsible for the mentoring and growth of the group.
This position works closely with office leadership to plan and develop engineering projects as part of a multidisciplinary team and engineering specific projects concerned with unique problems, which have an important effect on client driver outcomes and programs. Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization with responsibility for acting independently and in conjunction with team objectives on matters pertaining to his/her field.
Must have business development skills and be able to generate new clients and focus on retaining and growing existing clients within the process of project performance. Candidate must be computer literate. Supervision received is essentially administrative, with assignments given in terms of broad, general objectives, and limits. Typical duties and responsibilities may include design leadership, planning, organizing, and supervising the work of a medium size staff of engineers, designers, and drafters associated with team goals and objectives. Required to understand the group’s needs and makes requests for hiring based off of a group plan that is a part of the larger team and office plan. Review candidates for consideration as well as participating in the interview process. The Group Leader is required to lead the onboarding process for all new hires to the group.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Engineer may be assigned a variety of specific duties, which focus on individual and team growth expectations based on the needs of the office. The Engineer may participate in any or all of the items listed below:
- Provide coaching and mentoring to all individuals in the group.
- Participate in the marketing and business development efforts associated with the regional, and local development of healthcare, education, industrial, and/or government and other projects for the building team;
- Provides design and engineering leadership associated with new facilities, additions or for those being remodeled;
- Assist in the development of research, cost data for the systems of both new construction, and remodel projects;
- Consult with clients to determine the requirements and best practice components for systems and practices to meet their needs;
- Oversee, review, and assist in the design and production of instruments of service to deliver our work to clients;
- Work with team members to develop Revit models;
- Provide design expertise to deliver solutions schematically, technically, throughout all phases of the project when appropriate;
- Assist in the preparation of specifications;
- Do code research;
- Participate in the development of quality control procedures to accurately complete technical documents. Recommend updated procedures and methods where appropriate;
- Review and process project correspondence;
- Indirectly supervise team member and core team members;
- Participate with team members to monitor budget to ensure the project is progressing in a cost effective and timely manner;
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current and prospective clients;
- Visit project sites during construction to ensure quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards;
- Keep abreast of changes, new technology, trends, and innovative best practices in area of expertise and recommend changes and new services as appropriate;
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, while providing opportunities for leadership development;
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
BS in Engineering with ten + years of progressively responsible experience in a related position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Work consists of moderately complicated procedures and tasks that require both directed activities and independent judgments when setting task priorities, evaluating results, coordinating with others, etc. May be required to work or attend meetings beyond the normal workday. Decisions affect the work of other work group disciplines.
Applicant is requires to have a good general working knowledge of mechanical or electrical engineering and design. Able to operate computer and a variety of software programs. Applicant is able to solve a variety of problems in situations where only limited standardization exists. Demonstrate ability to be courteous with tact necessary to effectively work with others in every day working relationships. Good communication and human relation skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to travel for work related activities is required.
Shive-Hattery offers outstanding benefits, a sound compensation package and extensive professional development opportunities.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.