Shive-Hattery is seeking a Creative Director for the Chicago Office. This talented, passionate individual must demonstrate the skills necessary to lead the creative direction and process for the office, nurture a culture of quality, demonstrate, inspire, and nurture a passion for design, and drive innovation and collaboration. This individual must be a strong communicator, able to present well to both clients and staff, be able to clearly articulate his or her ideas with charisma.
The Chicago office is part of a business unit combined with the Valparaiso, IN office. The Creative Director would report to the Office Director, and would be part of the Office Management Team (OMT) along with the Office Manager, Team Leader, and Director of Business Development
Ten plus years of experience in a design firm with proven leadership and team management skills in a creative role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or Interior Design
- Licensed Architect or NCIDQ Registered Interior Designer in the State of Illinois.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be collaborative, passionate about design, and have positive/effective team building skills.
- Knowledge of commercial architecture, corporate workplace, and higher education design an advantage
- Must have a good understanding of business financial metrics used to monitor office performance.
- Must have a strong and diverse design portfolio with a good understand of the creative process.
- Must be able to effectively coach and mentor younger staff and provide constructive feedback
- Must have demonstrated business development capabilities and manage/support marketing efforts.
- Must have a strong can-do attitude with strong problem solving skills.
Help define and lead initiatives to elevate the design quality and profile.
- Report to and work closely with the office director to develop and ensure overall vision and goals are achieved.
- A predilection for nurturing the design process rather than imposing a singular design aesthetic.
- Be active in projects with an annual billable goal of 50%
- Guide the message and image of digital and printed marketing material.
- Provide consistent mentoring and coaching for staff to set expectations and review progress/performance.
- Be available and interact with all staff.
- Provide and lead opportunities for creative feedback such as design reviews and charrettes.
- Identify conflict and take prompt appropriate action.
- Strive to create a creative and collaborative environment and culture consistent with our business and people values in both the Chicago and Valparaiso Offices
- Support our One Firm, Firm Philosophy, by working with other offices to continuously elevate design.
- Support, and play an active role in Business Development.
- Lead and participate in project interviews and presentations in the office.
- Engage and be active in community and professional organizations.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.