Shive-Hattery - Architecture + Engineering Design Firm
We are a Midwest-based architecture and engineering firm with seven offices in Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. Because we have staff registered in 42 states, we can serve our clients throughout the United States.
The company we now know as Shive-Hattery, Inc. has over 100 years of continuous operation as a design firm. Here’s a little history on how Shive-Hattery has expanded over the years.
- 1895 – Starting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa originally an engineering & surveying firm named Boynton & Warriner.
Fun fact: We still have Warriner’s drawing files and survey field books.
- 1953 – Warriner retires, Philip Shive buys firm and renames it to Shive Engineering adding civil engineering and structural engineering to the company’s line of services.
- 1955 – James L. Shive, Philip Shive’s son, joins the firm and Philip becomes a partner.
- 1961 – Donald P. Hattery (civil engineer and land surveyor) and Harold C. Hall (structural engineer) join the firm.
- 1962 – Shive Engineering became Shive-Hall-Hattery Engineering Services expanding to Iowa City, Iowa.
- 1966 – Davenport, Iowa office is established.
- 1968 – Name changes to Shive-Hattery & Associates.
- 1968 – Davenport, IA office merger with James (Ed) E. Hawks a structural engineer with Petersen and Appel. Shortly after, the office moved to Washington Street then North Brady until 1986.
- 1970 – Shive-Hattery expands to Des Moines, Iowa.
- 1981 – Mechanical and electrical engineering is added to line of services.
- 1984 – First architect hired in Cedar Rapids, officially making Shive-Hattery an architectural engineering consulting firm.
- 1986 – Davenport, Iowa office relocates to Moline, Illinois.
- 1989 – Name changes to Shive-Hattery Engineers and Architects, Inc.
- 1989 – Des Moines, Iowa office moves to West Des Moines due to lack of space and continuous growth.
- 1993 – Shive-Hattery purchases an architectural firm in Bloomington, Illinois.
- 1995 – Hattery retires and Johnson elected chairman of the board of directors and Thomas Hayden elected president.
- 1996 – New corporate identity; name shortened to Shive-Hattery, Inc.
- 1999 – Shive-Hattery Group, Inc., created as a holding company, Hayden elected chairman of the board of directors
- 2012 – An architecture and corporate workplace firm with offices in Valparaiso, Indiana and downtown Chicago joins the Shive-Hattery family.
- 2012 – Thomas Hayden retires and Jim Lee is elected as the 6th president of Shive-Hattery.