Job ID 1742 Location Madison, WI Job Type Full-Time Apply Now
Build a strong foundation for your structural engineering career in the heart of Madison, Wisconsin.
Shive-Hattery’s office is near downtown Madison – 811 E. Washington Ave, Suite 400
As a soon-to-be or recently Licensed Professional Engineer you will:
- Lead design with a growing group of higher education and industrial clients.
- Solve a variety of challenging problems while building long-term relationships.
- Be mentored by Wisconsin Team Leader Brad Hughes (see personal profile below) and others.
As a structural engineer in the Madison office, you will gain experience in design and help build long-term relationships.
Design and Leadership Experience
- Design new facilities, additions, or renovations.
- Visit construction sites to ensure quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Keep abreast of changes, new technology, trends, and innovative best practices in area of expertise and recommend changes and new services.
- Oversee, review, and assist in the design and production of instruments of service, including review and process project correspondence.
- Work with team members to develop Revit models, assist in the preparation of specifications and do code research.
- Help develop quality control procedures to accurately complete technical documents. Recommend updated procedures and methods where appropriate.
- Collaborate with team members to monitor budget to ensure the project is progressing in a cost effective and timely manner.
Build Long-Term Relationships
- Strengthening industrial, healthcare, commercial, and higher education relationships through engineering projects.
- Contribute to marketing and business development efforts associated with the regional, national, and local development of select or focused clients.
- Meet with clients and promote positive client contact with current and prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, while providing opportunities for leadership development.
Education: Professional degree, minimum of a BS in Civil Engineering (structural emphasis) or BS in Architectural Engineering
Typical Duties and Responsibilities: May include design assist, planning, organizing, and supervising the work of interns, designers and engineers associated with team and project goals and objectives. This position involves design knowledge-based experience while working with market focused and production team members on the timely, professional, and accurate production of various design documents, contracts, technical drawings, code research, Revit models, or other items associated with the delivery of structural design services. Participation in applicable ASCE, NCSEA, SEI, and/or community activities is preferred.
About Brad Hughes, Wisconsin Team Leader
I grew up in Chippewa Falls, WI, went to college at UW-Platteville to study civil-structural engineering, proceeded to Iowa State for a Masters, then started work at CH2M Hill in Milwaukee. I later moved to the Oshkosh area with Larson Engineering, before landing at Flad Architects in Madison, WI. I was part of the structural engineering group there for 18 years before Covid “offered” me an opportunity for a change.
Following the project process and seeing an owner’s vision come to fruition brings professional satisfaction. I enjoy working with multi-discipline teams and participating in the push and pull required to get to the best solution.
Outdoors is where I am happiest, and I enjoy the silent sports (biking, xc skiing, kayaking, hiking) and camping. I love cooking and podcasts (always looking for recommendations) and enjoy woodworking and home projects (despite what my wife says). This past summer a friend and I rode our bikes from southern WI to the northern tip of WI – 360 miles over 5 days.
I have a passion for Engineers Without Borders USA, working with students from UW Madison as a mentor for over 10 years. I have been involved in design and construction of an irrigation canal in Haiti and a pedestrian bridge in Guatemala, as well as mentoring on numerous other projects. I am currently working with students and professionals on a school project in Uganda which will include multiple buildings.
I come from a large family - youngest of 11 kids. My wife, Sarah, and I kept our family size in the average range through adoption. We have 3 kids, Nate 16, Carli 14, and Ben 12. We are really into the teen years! My kids love the birthday cakes I make and decorate for them (my mom taught me how to squeeze frosting out of a bag).
Shive-Hattery offers outstanding benefits, a sound compensation package and extensive professional development opportunities.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Future Consideration: Yes