Job ID 1945 Location Cedar Rapids, IA Job Type Full-Time Workplace Type On-Site Apply Now
Shive-Hattery's Cedar Rapids office has an immediate opportunity for a Civil Engineering Technician. The position is a mid-level technician with an advanced understanding of drafting tools, and design process development. The position requires a high level of communication and collaboration with designers and staff members working on municipal and private site development work within the local office, as well as between other Shive-Hattery office locations.
The technician will serve as an integral member of design teams, with a focus on consistency, project documents and deliverables to our clients. Motivation for continuous improvement and skills development is encouraged with this position.
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microstation and GEOPAK
- Experience with civil infrastructure design tools
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Tools including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to collaborate with Survey and Engineering staff to coordinate design.
- Associates or technical degree, or five (5) years of experience as a Civil Design Technician
- Experience in construction related to civil type projects including streets, highways, sewer, water and storm sewer
- Capable of good communication with Engineers, Owner, Contractors, State and Federal personnel
- Capable of understanding requirements for construction observation and documentation.
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Assist Civil Engineers with plan development and design tasks varying from entry level to advanced design
- Preparation of AutoCAD Civil 3D and Microstation drawings
- Preparation of Reports and technical specifications
- Must have a valid driver's license and be willing to travel to job sites.
Our learning and teaching culture is founded on collaboration. You will learn from and teach other employees while working across disciplines. You will grow your skills and continue your professional growth at Shive-Hattery.
About the Cedar Rapids Office
Located in the heart of Downtown Cedar Rapids and alongside the Cedar River, the city is full of life and also, uniquely, five seasons! Like all other cities in Iowa and beyond, we experience fall, winter, summer and spring, but our fifth season affords us the time and ability to enjoy all other seasons and thus life. We are often called The City of Five Seasons and you can find that this identity is deeply woven into the community of the City of Cedar Rapids.
The view from our newly renovated office in the historic Armstrong Building is vast and wide, allowing us clear viewings of the city and its famous sunsets. Locally owned coffee shops, restaurants, theatres, stores and nightlife hubs are sprinkled everywhere, both near and far, offering lots to do at anytime. We are accompanied by several Fortune 500 corporations in our area, including Collins Aerospace (formerly Rockwell Collins), Casey’s General Store and Principal Financial Group; it’s not all about big businesses here though.
There are many exciting amenities that thrive here including the outdoor McGrath Amphitheater, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, Orchestra Iowa, Newbo City Market, Kirkwood Culinary Kitchen, Veterans Memorial Stadium and the Alliant Energy Powerhouse . The streets and endless bikeways are buzzing with cyclists, especially during RAGBRAI (The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa). The list goes on with many outdoor recreational features, including the Indian Creek Nature Center, hiking and walking (over 100 miles of trails); numerous local, county, and state parks; boating and fishing opportunities; and access to exceptional golf courses, just to name a few.
For certain clients, we are required to conduct drug and/or alcohol testing on employees who perform work at the client site or on the client project. Consequently, employees and/or applicants will be required to satisfactorily pass a drug and/or alcohol test prior to any such work assignment.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Future Consideration: Yes