Job ID 1967 Location Madison, WI Job Type Full-Time Apply Now
As a newly licensed architect, you are ready for more – diverse design challenges, ownership of client relationships, and freedom to grow your career and an office.
As an architect with Shive-Hattery’s growing Madison (Wisconsin) office, you will enjoy the autonomy of a boutique design firm amidst the rich resources of a 425-person company. This environment creates three unique opportunities for you:
- Enjoy diverse design challenges. Experience a variety of project types including education, healthcare and industrial. These clients present a spectrum of design opportunities from new facilities to additions and remodels. Enjoy ownership of projects as you oversee, review, and assist in the design and production.
- Experience client development. In most design firms, the principals do all the marketing and business development. You will participate in marketing and business development efforts associated with the local, regional and national clients.
- Deploy the latest technology. Collaborate with team members to develop Revit models and create content with 3D Studio and Lumion 3D. Research changes, new technology, trends, and innovative best practices in your areas of expertise. We welcome recommended changes and new services.
- Registered Architect in the State of WI or the ability to become so.
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture
- Participation in applicable AIA, NCARB, and/or community activities is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Others may be assigned)
As an Architect at Shive-Hattery you will have a variety of opportunities, which focus on individual and team growth balanced with the needs of the office. You may participate in any or all of the items listed below:
- Provides design and architectural service associated with education, industrial, commercial, and healthcare clients on new facilities, additions or for those being remodeled;
- Participate in marketing and business development efforts associated with the regional, national, and local development of select or focused clients;
- Oversee, review, and assist in the design and production of instruments of service to deliver our work to clients;
- Work with team members to develop Revit models;
- Provide design support to deliver solutions throughout all phases of the project;
- Assist in the preparation of specifications;
- Do code research;
- Participate in the development of quality control procedures to accurately complete technical documents. Recommend updated procedures and methods where appropriate;
- Review and process project correspondence;
- Participate with team members to monitor budget to ensure the project is progressing in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current and prospective clients.
- Visit project sites during construction to ensure quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Keep abreast of changes, new technology, trends, and innovative best practices in area of expertise and recommend changes and new services as appropriate.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, while providing opportunities for leadership development.
"I grew up in Chippewa Falls, WI, went to college at UW-Platteville to study civil-structural engineering, and proceeded to Iowa State for a Masters. I have worked for several firms of varying sizes over the past nearly 30 years. Following the project process and seeing an owner’s vision come to fruition brings professional satisfaction. I enjoy working with multi-discipline teams and participating in the push and pull required to get to the best solution.
Outdoors is where I am happiest, and I enjoy silent sports (biking, xc skiing, kayaking, hiking) and camping. I love cooking and podcasts (always looking for recommendations) and enjoy woodworking and home projects (despite what my wife says).
I have a passion for Engineers Without Borders USA, working with students from UW Madison as a mentor for over 10 years. I am currently working with students and professionals on a school project in Uganda which will include multiple buildings."
Our learning and teaching culture is founded on collaboration. You will learn from and teach other employees while working across disciplines. You will grow your skills and continue your professional growth at Shive-Hattery.
Shive-Hattery offers outstanding benefits, a sound compensation package and extensive professional development opportunities.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Future Consideration: Yes