Shive-Hattery’s Iowa City office has an immediate opportunity for a licensed structural engineer with a minimum of 8 years of experience in the design and leadership of structural engineering projects.
- Professional Engineer licensure in Iowa or the ability for immediate licensure in Iowa
- Structural design experience using concrete, steel, and masonry. Wood design would be a plus.
- Ability to lead a project, from single discipline work to multi-discipline work, from conception through the production of construction documents.
- Experience and willingness to provide direction to young engineers and designers, along with collaborating with other disciplines.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively, which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing work.
- Must have good attention to detail.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills, and comfort presenting design solutions to Owners.
- Experience using Revit, 3D software (Navisworks/Recap), structural engineering design software, and Microsoft Office software is preferred.
- Design projects as a structural engineer for industrial, commercial, and education projects of various sizes. Work with experienced engineers and technicians while coordinating work within multi-discipline teams.
- Lead the structural design portion of projects, make design recommendations and decisions, and oversee the completion and quality of construction drawings, specifications, reports, and other project documentation.
- Establish and manage structural scope, schedule, and budget.
- Plan design work and provide direction to junior engineers and designers assisting with project work.
- Mentor and teach other team members.
- Interact with and be a representative of the company with clients and contractors as it relates to on-going projects.
- Must be capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to drive and have access to an automobile, climb ladders and work off of elevated platforms and open grating, and wear personal protective equipment required for specific clients and sites.
- Additional responsibilities include shop drawing review, field data collections and field data entry.
About the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids Area:
The Iowa City-Cedar Rapids metro area is home to almost a half a million people and is consistently voted among the top places to live each year. Our community is teeming with vibrant energy from a diverse group of academics, medical professionals, and entrepreneurs. Whether you’re visiting the Ped Mall in downtown Iowa City or shopping in the NewBo district of Downtown Cedar Rapids, our area offers an assortment of locally owned restaurants, farmer’s markets, quirky shops, historical landmarks, breweries, and live entertainment venues. For the adventurous, the ICR Corridor boasts plenty of space to explore the great outdoors with a network of walking and bike trails, scenic lakes, and public parks that offer a variety of outdoor activities and recreation throughout the year.
- Iowa City voted #4 in top 100 places to live (livability.com)
- Iowa City #2 Most fitness-friendly places for 2020 (Smart Asset)
- Iowa City Named one of the best cities for creatives (Thrillist)
Our learning and teaching culture is founded on collaboration. You will learn from and teach other employees while working across disciplines. You will grow your skills and continue your professional growth at Shive-Hattery.
Shive-Hattery offers outstanding benefits, a sound compensation package.
Shive-Hattery is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.